As one of the leading design firms in our region, we are pleased to invite you to our 2018 Knowledge is Powers Continuing Education Series. In addition to offering a diverse range of engaging presentations including many AIA approved courses for your team, we are maintaining our REWARDS program as a way of saying thank you for the relationships we’ve built with the design community over the years. With $7,000 in prizes awarded over the last 4 years… it’s one more great reason to invite us in!
FEATURED PRESENTATIONS FOR 2017:
“MODERN LEARNING ENVIRONMENTS” – Course # AIAPPCED100; (1) learning unit – Health, Safety, Welfare;
Provider #40107463 – Powers Products Co.
- Examine trends impacting designs for modern educational facilities including:
- External threats and lessons learned from Sandy Hook
- Creating safe environments that reduce the likelihood of bullying
- Supporting different learning styles and curriculums through flexibility, visibility, collaboration and biophilic design
- Local market realities such as fast-tracking and cost escalation
- IECC energy code requirements and the desire to create spaces that promote wellness for students and teachers alike.
- Through case studies, demonstrate how differing design approaches have been used to address these trends while simultaneously producing distinctive, award-winning architecture.
- Throughout the above, provide an understanding of the productivity and wellness benefits enjoyed by students and teachers in modern, efficient learning environments featuring abundant daylight, transparency, and flexibility.
“Architectural Innovations in Daylighting” – Course # AIAPPCDAY100; (1) learning unit – Health, Safety, Welfare; Provider #40107463 – Powers Products Co.
- Highlight historical and modern-day architectural innovations featuring natural daylighting strategies
- Using case studies from various building types, highlight the benefits of natural daylighting on human performance, health, productivity, and safety.
- Explore the effectiveness in terms of light quantity and quality, thermal control, design flexibility, and budget of various daylighting systems including translucent panel, glass, acrylic, and polycarbonate systems as well as various applications including walls, windows, skylights, and tubular devices.
- Emphasize relevant daylighting considerations as it pertains to sustainable design objectives and understand the real energy conservation achieved through the use of various daylighting strategies. Also, demonstrate the power of daylighting studies and other tools that are available to assist architects in developing the most effective daylighting strategy for each project.
“SPACE FLEXIBILITY… WITH A VIEW” Course # AIAPPCSM100; (1) learning unit – Health, Safety, Welfare; Provider #40107463 – Powers Products Co.
- Through case studies, examine design trends involving the use of flexible space separation systems including operable partitions and glass walls, vertically acting systems, bi-fold door systems, and sliding glass walls.
- Understand critical design and structural considerations that impact the use of these systems.
- Compare and contrast the advantages and disadvantages of utilizing glass space flexibility systems vs. conventional, acoustically-rated operable partition systems, with a focus on daylighting, energy savings, indoor environmental quality, and other sustainable design objectives.
- Demonstrate the positive health and welfare effect on building occupants that can be achieved through the use of innovative space flexibility systems.
“OPEN DESIGN and BUILDING CODE COMPLIANCE” Course # AIAPPCF+S100; (1) learning unit – Health, Safety, Welfare; Provider #40107463 – Powers Products Co.
- Review IBC requirements related to fire and smoke protection for openings within Fire Walls and Fire Barrier Walls
- Introduce innovative strategies utilizing fire and smoke-rated fabric curtains and coiling/sliding steel door systems to achieve open plan designs while meeting the above-referenced code requirements.
- Utilizing case studies, examine the challenges often encountered when designing for fire and smoke-rated opening protectives and demonstrate the flexibility afforded through the use of advanced curtain and door systems to overcome these obstacles.
- Examine how the use of wide-span opening protectives can promote daylighting, save energy, and help to achieve other sustainable design objectives.
FULL LISTING OF AIA ACCREDITED PRESENTATIONS:
- Modern Learning Environments – Powers Products – FEATURED, Updated 2018
- Architectural Innovations in Daylighting – Powers Products – FEATURED, Updated 2017
- Space Flexibility… With a View – Powers Products – FEATURED, Updated 2017
- Open Design + Building Code Compliance – Powers Products – FEATURED, Updated 2017
- Architectural Vertical Opening Solutions – Renlita – NEW 2017
- Designing with Daylight – Velux
- HSW Aspects of Daylighting – Bristolite
- Operable Wall Systems – Modernfold
- Moveable Glass Partition Systems – Modernfold
- Opening Doors to Design Opportunities with the Model Building Codes – McKeon
- Fire and Smoke Curtains: Meeting atrium smoke requirements – Smoke Guard
- Fire and Smoke Rated Curtains – McKeon
- Design Solutions: Smoke Protection at the Elevator Hoistway – Smoke Guard
For content-related questions regarding the presentations, please contact:
- Michael Hicks: 303-226-1623 or email@example.com
- Gary Dvorak: 303-226-1594 or firstname.lastname@example.org
For scheduling questions, please contact:
- Debra Trujillo: email@example.com
In order to qualify for the reward drawings, your firm will need to sign up for a minimum of 3 presentations over the course of the year. From there, the reward drawings will work as follows:
- Individuals attending 3 or more of the courses by Powers in calendar year 2017 will be entered into a drawing for:
- Grand Prize – $500 gift certificate
- Ten $50 gift certificates
- Individuals attending 2 or more of the courses by Powers in calendar year 2017 will be entered into a drawing for:
- 25 $10 gift certificates
How it works:
- Review and select the desired courses that your firm would like to schedule. See Pg. 2 and 3 for a description of our four, featured presentations.
- Visit http://powersproducts.com/registration/ to select presentations and preferred dates
- Powers will compile the schedules, communicate any conflicts, and confirm dates
- Presentations will occur throughout the year
- Drawings for the Rewards Program winners will be announced and prizes distributed in late December or early January, 2019